Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Chick Lit Galore

I've been gorging on chick lit since a recent visit to the library. I don't often buy that kind of pastel covered, shoe/handbag/silhouettes of lovers emblazoned book because it takes me about 2 days to read and I feel that's a bit of a waste of money. Anyway, this week I've already read a Jane Green novel called 'Life Swap' which was entertaining, a bit fluffy and as satisfying as a McFlurry. Julian, you'd hate it. I've never read Danielle Steele but I suspect Jane Green is more my thing (doesn't Steele do bonkbusters?).

I started an Elizabeth Noble novel yesterday, something about an A-Z of something. She wrote The Jane Austen Book Club which I enjoyed. This one is also hitting the spot. In my bag to go to Yorkshire, I've got 'In her Shoes' by Jennifer Weiner, recently made into a film with Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette. I thought the film was reasonable. In the wedding scene at the end they used the same e. e. cummings poem that Lorraine beautifully read out at my own wedding. Awww yes I blubbed a bit!

2 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

Which is this Cummings poem?

10:55 am

 
Blogger Ellie said...

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

12:56 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home