Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

How's everyone getting on?

Hi guys,

I just started reading our optional Jodi Picoult book - despite it being hardback! I think it had a fight with some soup, and the book won. I actually read her bestseller, My Sister's Keeper, during the summer, and thought it was excellent, so that inspired me to give Vanishing Acts a go.

So, what have you been reading this summer? I have been mostly reading:
A children's fantasy book 'Shadowmancer' (demons, spirits and quite deep Christian values all wrapped up in a great story)
A non-fiction book 'How movies helped save my soul' (spirituality in all sorts of movies, which has inspired me to watch a whole heap of DVDs...when I have the time!)
A selection of short stories 'Cold Feet' (my chick-lit moment, brides have 2nd thoughts)
For the millionth time, Easy Connections, a teenage book I first read aged 14 and adored, and its sequel, Easy Freedom, finally available in print after years and years. (rock and art combine in the late 70s, with lots of sexy and intense beautiful people)
'The Jane Austen Book Group' (bookgroup discusses...well obviously Jane Austen...but other things happen too - don't think we'll be that restrictive on our reading)

Hmm, that looks all rather 'lite' apart from maybe the movie book. Well, no apologies, because I don't watch any soap operas or The Bill.

Oh, and my favourite bookgroup books have been:
The Lovely Bones; If nobody speaks of remarkable things & The Time Traveller's Wife
My least favourites were:The New You Survival Kit, Henry & June, & I was always against Bleak House. Sorry Charles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home