Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Kenneth Williams again

I am nearing the end of KW's magnificent diary. It's a truly fascinating read. The man was a complete conundrum. Capable of sensitivity and kindness and adept at cutting through cant and hypocrisy, and yet he held some pretty atrocious views - somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan. I think maybe he liked stirring the pot so to speak, wanted to say outrageous things as an act of rebellion and defiance. I guess he wanted to act and speak freely not constrained by conformist moral values. He looked down on sanctimonious left wing liberals. While I am not sure this leads him down very desirable avenues - I do have some sympathy with his position. There are some on the liberal left nowadays who are pretty unbearable in their self-righteousness and holier than thou stance. Also some of these excessively goody types seem to have a tendency to tunnel vision and following dogma rather blindly. I can understand Ken not having much time for the Redgrave family. Vanessa in the political arena always seems a bit of a pain to me - sees herself as a latterday saint I think

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

I saw a cookery programme with Vanessa Redgrave. Can't say it really focussed on her political activism - it was more about her as a family person.

I too dislike it when people are overly politically correct (it annoys me each year when my department have a party in Dec and refuse to call it a Christmas party just in case it offends anyone). But I also admire people who fight for good things, justice, peace, human rights, fair trade and all those lofty things when so many people in the world can't be bothered. I know what you mean though, you use the word 'goody' which is apt - I like the word 'worthy' too. Yuk.

10:25 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home