Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

My favourite author

My favourite author is Anne Tyler. I first read her the summer after I graduated from university and spent the long journeys to my first job in Tooting working my way through all of her novels. I now buy her new novels when they come out in hardback and am trying to collect first uk editions of all of them. I have a signed one and her handwriting is just how I expected it would be.

The reason I think I love her books so much is that she writes about the sort of people you pass in the street but makes their lives extraordinary. Her characters usually belong to large eccentric families and they get on each others nerves and make a mess of things and don't always sort these messes out. She is also very good on small details and describes things other authors don't notice. When I read her I believe that my life could be the subject of a novel too.

One day I hope to visit Baltimore, Mayland where all of her novels are set.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

I love your comment that when you read her books, you can imagine your life being written as a book. Can you ever imagine writing a book yourself?

7:32 am

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home