Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

My Favourite Author

I think it would be very difficult to give a favourite author of all. I agree with Lorraine about Anne Tyler. Lorraine introduced me to her books and I have been very impressed. She catches the heartache in ordinary life and also has a great sense of humour.

Some of my other favourite author's are

Leo Tolstoy - who I wrote about at college. I read his three full length novels and his shorter fiction. I have never been disappointed. He can describe and evoke his scenes and characters with great skill

Evelyn Waugh - a stylist par excellence - very funny and can catch you by suprise with something remarkably poignant


Joyce Cary - I loved his book Mr Johnson

Henry Green - quite short novels with an extraordinary syntax and use of words.

Lewis Grassic Gibbon - I loved the first part of the Scots Quair trilogy - Sunset Song - wonderfully atmospheric

Barry Unsworth - Sacred Hunger - must be one of the best ever Booker winners. Utterly compelling from start to finish.

Marcel Proust - his great novel of memory is one of the most adult books I have ever encountered. The most profound analysis, honesty and calmness in the face of humanity's foibles and ever changing needs and desires.

Thomas Hardy - adored Jude the Obscure and Tess of the D'Ubervilles. Unforgettable characters and stories that strike at the depths of the heart.

Samuel Richardson - his mighty epistolary novel - Clarissa. Tremendous depth of feeling and unrelenting depiction of tyranny and hypocrisy

Victor Hugo - Notre Dame de Paris - searing romantic masterpiece. Masterly storytelling



Ellie I am interested in your choices. Someone else mentioned Douglas Coupland to me. I shall almost certainly try David Mitchell sometime.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellie said...

Julian,

I have only read one Evelyn Waugh book which was Brideshead Revisited - I thought his prose was like poetry. Wonderful - mst give more of his books a go. Hearing his name always reminds me of the film Lost in Translation, when a rather silly actress tells someone she uses Evelyn Waugh as a psuedenym (sp?!) when she's in a hotel, and she obviously doesn't realise he was a man...

Talking again of films of books, Jude the Obscure has got to be one of the most depressing I've ever seen.

7:30 am

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home