Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

On behalf of Claire...

A quote from Tracey Chevalier on books and their quality:

"I’ve found that rating books is very difficult – primarily because the rating for how well-written a book is may be very different from how much I actually liked reading it. Sometimes I know a book is good but I don’t actually love the experience of reading it; sometimes a poorly written book still gives me great pleasure. So, from September 2003 onwards I am giving two ratings – the first is how good a book I think it is – style, structure, plot, etc.; the second is how much I actually enjoyed reading it ".

1 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

I very much agree with Tracey when she says how she sometimes knows a book is good but doesnt enjoy the experience of reading it. That has happened to me with The Brothers Karamazov and The World According to Garp - both of which I have failed to finish.

I do part company from her when she says she has enjoyed a poorly written book. I have never ever enjoyed a poorly written book. I might manage a few pages but they basically bore me out of my mind. Also they are usually devoid of anything that could be called beauty. Beauty has always been of prime importance to me.

Keats said famously

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty"

3:38 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home