Welcome to the Globe Bookgroup blog! Here, members of the group can post messages about past and present books, and catch up with other members. The Globe Bookgroup meets around every 4-5 weeks on a Thursday night in The Globe pub, Baker Street. We get very excited about choosing and voting for our books. We don't do organised discussions or heavy hardbacks.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Norwegian book rocks!

It was a total breeze to read - I raced through it in about 3 days. Made me want to get a cat, but I'm banned from getting any animals.

I've moved on now to The Mercy of Thin Air, marketed as a cross between The Lovely Bones and The Time Traveller's Wife - which is true in as much as it's an enduring love story but narrated by a ghost. I love the fact that some of it is set in the late 20s, which is an era I wish I could travel back to for a visit.

I recently purchased two books not of the novel variety. They are sewing books (Sew U and Yeah! I Made It Myself) - I have dreams of making my own clothes (trousers that fit!). The problem is I need to get past the stage of the books sitting on my bookshelf, occasionally removed for perusal...to the point when I buy some fabric and get experimenting. If I wasn't teaching two evenings a week I would join an evening class for hands-on experience.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julian said...

I very much enjoyed Beyond the Great Indoors - a thoughtful and charming story - very amusing as well, especially when the four friends went away on their trip together.

A book about life as it is lived by ordinary people - their fears, their insecurities and absurdities. Far removed from the fanciful self-conscious style of Time Traveller's Wife and History of Love. Confections without sincerity or in Niffenegger's case any real talent for writing at all

5:08 pm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home